Tuesday, January 06, 2009

Aww, Man!

So I read this article in Self Magazine:
"Could you be "skinny obese"?

You know that friend, the one who eats with abandon, shuns the gym and never gains an ounce? She may not be as lucky as she looks: Half of normal-weight women have body-fat percentages above 30 percent, commonly considered the cutoff for good health, according to a study from the Mayo Clinic in Rochester, Minnesota. And these skinny-obese women are more likely to die of a heart attack than fit-within women who are overweight but get 150 minutes of moderate exercise per week (so they're fit and fat), other research shows. Sure, the ideal is to be slim and fit, but thinness isn't always attainable. Don't get frustrated—get active.
I have a sneaky suspicion I might be. I don't exercise, but I've started to since 2009 started. It's not a resolution, otherwise I wouldn't stick with it. I've been doing Winsor Pilates and a Jillian Michaels Cardio DVD. Any other suggestions? Don't say Tae Bo.
Wish me luck.

8 comments:

Fig said...

Sorry, I know it's supposed to be serious, but it's cracking me up. I can't wait to tell people I have a skinny-obese friend!

Jessie said...

If you really want a crazy workout try P90x, its insane!!

Tiffany said...

Aww that does suck! We have Wii fit and I love it-it has yoga and aerobics and balance games to strengthen your core-all while playin a game-it doesn't get much better than that!

emily said...

I love jillian. She is amazing. Do you watch the biggest loser?

The Woolner Family said...

My sister is skinny obese. She's 37 and has the liver of a person who has drunk alcohol heavily for decades (she's never even had a sip) and has been hospitalized for sepsis (??) after a bladder infection went wrong after her 4th child, etc. In a way, it would be nice not to need to exercise, but it's so worth it. I like P90x, but I've noticed I've gotten chubbier since I've started which is weird and I've been diligent although we just had a Halloween, Thanksgiving, Christmas and New Year's to contend with. And Billy Blanks amped workout with the bar is pretty decent if you mute Billy and put in your own music.

April said...

I did not want to hear that!!!!

Big Al said...

how about........tae bo?

Lisa C said...

I'm catching up on your blog and I feel compelled to comment on everything...must mean you have a good blog...

Anyway, I don't think I've ever been skinny-obese, but I think I've been skinny-fat! Right now I think I'm average-fat. Otherwise known as post-baby body. Ha, ha. Maybe I can get back down to my skinny-fat size.

 
Find More Free Custom Color Layouts at April Showers