Sunday, November 20, 2011

Here's Your Sign

I was kind of excited. I remembered the American Music Awards were on tonight. I never remember when the things I want to watch come on. So I was watching the show for about an hour. The kids were playing with moon sand in the kitchen and vaguely watching it as well. I put them to bed and when I was tucking Ky in she made a big fuss about wanting to watch it too. She claims she always wakes up in a good mood no matter what time she goes to bed. I agreed and let her come back upstairs and said she could stay up until the next commercial break. Well, Jennifer Lopez was on and performing. We like her music and sing along with her on the radio. She sang "Papi" and then started singing "On the Floor," and proceeded to rip off her dress to reveal an extremely revealing outfit, if it could be called that. Ky got up and said, "I don't want to watch this anymore. I feel like I can't, because of the way she's dressed and the way she's dancing." She went to bed in tears. I talked to her and told her she was absolutely right. That it was the spirit telling her that how Jennifer was behaving was innappropriate and wrong. I told her how proud I was of her for being a good example to me and making the decision for both of us to turn off the rest of the show. We talked about how Heavenly Father wants us to be modest so we don't make others uncomfortable. Really, it took my 8 year old setting the example for me to follow suit. She is such a shining star and I'm so glad she opened my eyes. My kids are getting older and there's no reason for me to expose them to the way the media portrays women both in TV and song. Sometimes I listen to music in the car that doesn't have the greatest lyrics, I'm sad to say, but I realize now my children absorb it, they understand what they're talking about. They notice when people are saying and doing things that are conducive to the spirit. I need to be the better example, not the other way around. This is not the way I want to raise my kids, especially my one and only daughter. I love you Kymora, and thank you.

2 comments:

Brandy Lynn said...

WOW!!! Way to go Ky! And way to go Amy! You are an amazing mom and are always and example to me! I really wish that we didn't have to monitor everything so much. The bad thing is that we do, and most of the time we are so worried about what it is doing to our kids and we forget about what it can do to us!
Glad you posted about this. We all need a good reminder every once in a while.

Jessie said...

My eyes are a little watery right now. Thanks for sharing this story. Your children are the way they are because they have you as their mother!

 
Find More Free Custom Color Layouts at April Showers