I love to read children's books.I like the way they generally tell a story but teach a powerful lesson for life as well. That saying, I chose "The Boy that Changed the World,"written by Andy Andrews to review from Thomas Nelson Publishers. I receieved a copy of this book free of charge in exchange for an honest and thorough review, whether positive or negative.The "boy" in the story actually seems to be numerous people but begins with one named Norman Bourlag. It continues on about Henry Wallace, George Washington Carver, and Moses Carver all of which are interconnected within each others' lives. In the end this Norman Bourlag develops disease resistant wheat varieties with exceedingly high yield potential- "super seeds." These "super seeds" feed an insurmountable amount of people thus "Changing the World."
The whole story is bases upon a concept from Andrews called the Butterfly Effect, explaining how one action no matter how insignificant can change peoples minds, affect peoples lives, and the decisions they might make. The pictures are top quality with a home town feel. The book itself requires some higher thinking that I'm not sure kids who this book is geared towards will understand the series of events that take place. I had my 7 year old read it and at the end she just said, "Hmm." I asked her what she thought and she said didn't quite get the point. I understand the lesson that is trying to be taught but I'm pretty sure it won't captivate it's intended audience and be a book they'll ask to read over and over again. It's not a fun book, but it is kind of a kid like history lesson.


















0 comments:
Post a Comment