At the beginning of April Darnell made a goal not to mindlessly plop in front of the tv after work and waste his night away. This was something we did on a regular basis. We do watch tv if we're watching a movie together as a family though. He's been good on this goal thus far and it's incredible. I love the effect this has had on our family. There is just a completely different vibe in our household and it's great. We spend more time talking, and playing with the kids, and just being with each other. I Love my husband (with a capital L). I'm so glad he instituted this.
Just thought I'd share. It's made me more happy, I know that for sure. Although this doesn't help my shameless addiction to mindless internet surfing. Darn it!


















8 comments:
Wow. That is impressive. I have noticed when we have the tv off we definately have more quality time together. I should make a goal like that...if I could just let go of my tv shows.
That's so great! We did something similar recently-- we have "No TV Days", which are Sundays, Tuesdays and Thursdays. It has been amazing. What a difference. Even on "TV Days" the kids aren't as likely to turn on the TV anymore. They've learned to do other things, and we do more stuff together. I'm eventually going to add another day and then another, till we're only watching TV one or two days a week. YAY for NO TV!!
Yeah during the day, with all this snow my kids watch too much tv. I need to try that. That way they're not doing it cold turkey.
You know what? I was worried about how my kids would react to it. I thought there would be weeping and wailing and gnashing of teeth... but there totally wasn't. They have been completely on board with it from day one, which shocked me. And that was going from having the TV on ALL STINKIN' DAY LONG every day. I guess I underestimated them! :)
Hey I tagged you!
We havne't had TV even available in our house since we've been married for 7 years and we don't miss it. If there are shows we want to watch we just watch it TiVo'd at my moms or on the internet-I know it kind of sounds the same-but the TV can't be on all day and we don't get sucked into the next thing after, because it's just the one show. We do have a movie library here, but we have a rule of ONE video a day TOTAL and there are many days that the kids don't take advantage of that. They can choose to play on the computer instead playing on Nick Jr or something where they can watch 1 or 2 full episodes of their favorite shows that they wouldn't even know about otherwise. I'll tell you what it gets us out of the house doing things more than I think other people because there just isn't that much to become involved with at home-Chad and I also spend more time playing board games together after the kids go to bed, which is way more fun than blankly staring at the tv.
have u seen that Oprah show (haha, tv) but it was about living on less like no tv, ipod, computer for a week and no eating out, it was very interesting!
Peep my article on www.jenmagazine.com called "TV Rebel". We got rid of our TV years ago and haven't looked back. We're out of the loop when people ask which idol we're voting for, etc, but it's a very worthy sacrifice. I remember inviting a new neighbor to dinner and asked if Tuesday was all right. He honestly closed his eyes and said, "Hmmm, what's on on Tuesday. Ope, nope, can't." They turned down a dinner invite for a TV show! Get control of your lives, people!
Post a Comment